Once you learn how to care for your curly or wavy hair, styling your hair is fast and easy! However, your hair has a few unique needs so you must take a more strategic approach to your haircare. Follow the tips below to keep your curls and waves looking their best.
#1 Shampoo On A Schedule
Uncle Jimmy is dedicated to keeping your daily grooming as easy as possible. We created our Hair, Beard and Body Wash to be gentle enough for all hair textures and types. Also, so that you can wash from head to toe each time you are in the shower with one simple product. However, the hair on your head shouldn’t be shampooed daily. Your beard yes, twice per day. But most days you should only wet your hair in the shower.
Wavy hair should be shampooed once or twice per week. Curly hair should only be shampooed every 7 to 10 days. There are a few exceptions to this rule. You should shampoo immediately after swimming in freshwater, saltwater, or chlorine. If you are an avid swimmer, wear a swim cap so that you won’t strip your hair shampooing it each time you swim. You will also need to shampoo sooner if your scalp is sweaty, itchy, or oily.
Always condition your curly hair and consider using a daily leave-in conditioner for added moisture. If your hair is more than an inch long, comb or brush your waves or curls in the shower when the conditioner is in your hair.
#2 Dry Your Hair Right
Wavy and curly hair is prone to frizz, but there are several easy ways to minimize frizz. One of the most important factors is how you dry your hair after you shower.
- Do not rub your hair with a towel or it will certainly frizz.
- Do gently pat your short hair dry or let it air dry.
- Do wrap a towel around your head if your hair is long or mid-length.
- Do not use a hairdryer to dry your hair, as air drying is best.
- Do use a diffuser on long hair if you want to.
#3 Invest In A Curly Hair Brush Or Comb
If you’re rocking a buzz cut or super short hairstyle you may be able to get away with a generic brush or comb. However, if your hair is more than an inch in length, you’ll definitely need a product designed specifically for curly hair.
To decide what styling tool is best for you determine your hair texture and type. If you need help determining your hair texture and type or what brush or comb to use, ask your barber. The longer you let your hair grow, the more important it is that you use a styling tool that will detangle your hair and brush through it with minimal breakage. Many men prefer a stiff bristle brush, but you may need a wide-tooth comb, pick, or curly hairbrush. If your hair is wavy, you may be able to use your fingers to comb your hair after you shower.
The longer your hair is, the more important it is to minimize post-shower brushing. The more you brush or comb your hair after you shower the more it will separate your curls and waves and the more prone it will be to frizz.
#5 Invest In Curly Hair Care Products
Wavy and curly hair requires special care. Our scalp naturally produces an oil called sebum. This oil (and sometimes your styling products) is what makes your head and scalp feel greasy. However, sebum plays a vital role in hydrating your hair. The naturally occurring oil is designed to travel down your hair strands to seal in moisture. However, the waves and curls in your hair keep sebum from making its way from root to tip.
To protect your fragile hair, you will need to select hair care products that are designed for curly hair. Even if your hair is wavy, curly hair products are what you need. This means that most trending and store-bought products aren’t right for you. This is because most are made with synthetic ingredients that will strip your hair even more. Instead, you need naturally derived products that will restore moisture and add a natural protective layer.
While wavy hair may have a natural shine, the tighter your curls are the more your hair will absorb light instead of reflecting light. So, keep your curls shiny with products that contain natural oils. Uncle Jimmy’s has you covered with everything you need to keep your waves and curls frizz-free, in place, and shiny. Our products are infused with avocado, honey, and black seed oil for moisture and shine.
- Curl Kicker is ideal for medium hold for both wavy and curly hair.
- X-Tra Curl Kicker is ideal for stronger hold for kinky hair and tight or thick curls.
- Loc-Hold provides extra hold for locs, waves, and molding styles.
- Apply a small dab of Beard Oil any time you would like a bit of extra shine.
#6 Choose The Right Hairstyle
The fact of the matter is that there are many hairstyles that won’t work for you, but don’t be discouraged. Wavy and curly hair has more volume and shape, which is something many men wish they had. So, once you find the right cut and style, styling your hair is fast and easy.
Browse online photos of men with similar curls, waves, and face shape for inspiration. Also, flip through books in your barbershop and ask your barber what styles will work best for you. Here are a few ideas:
- If you prefer mid-length to long hair but your hair is thick, ask your barber if using thinning scissors will make your hair more manageable.
- A buzz cut looks good on both wavy and curly hair and allows for endless styling options as your hair grows out.
- Cropped cuts look great on both wavy and curly hair.
- Avoid a mop top by buzzing or fading the sides and back of your hair.
- If you have tight curls, experiment with different fades, sculpted edges, and decorative lines.
- Don’t let your hairstyle grow out too long or your waves and curls will begin to look unkempt. Every 6 to 8 weeks is ideal.
- If your hair is curly and you like to wear it long opt for layers to avoid the mushroom effect.
- Experiment with waves, locks, and molding styles to mix things up.
- Avoid the temptation to wear the same style for too long.
- Ask your barber to show you a few different styles for the same cut or to suggest new styles.
Check back to the Uncle Jimmy blog soon for more men’s grooming, hair, and beard care tips!
WRITE FOR US
Think you've got a fresh perspective that will challenge our readers to engage and educate themselves on how to attain a healthier self, beard, hair, and skin included? We're always looking for authors who can deliver quality articles and blog posts. Thousands of men and women will read your work, and you will level up in the process.
NEW VIDEO FROM BARBERCON
Thanks for watching. If you liked this video, make sure to subscribe for more!